Quilting is a popular hobby that has transcended to households and sewing rooms. The difference over the years lays in the fact that people now choose to quilt using machines. But not every sewing machine offers the capability. This is why choosing the best sewing machine for quilting can be hard.
But once you know what to look for and what you need the machine for, you can filter out your options rightly. Your requirement- whether you need the best sewing machine for quilting and monogramming, or embroidery- is of utmost importance.
Quilting sewing machines have features like stitches/minute, auto threader, auto trimmer, extension table, and last but not the least – warranty. Beginners need to check all of these features before buying a machine or else they might end up with the wrong product. So you may choose the best sewing machine for beginners from the following recommendations. You may become the best serger through these recommendations.
Brother Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
Terby Mini Portable Sewing and Quilting Machine
Brother’s Sewing and Quilting Machine with Built-In Stitches
Sewing and Quilting Computerized Machine from JUKI
Sewing and Quilting Machine with 1500 stitches per minute from Brother
High-Speed Sewing and Quilting Machine from JANOME
Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine with 200 In-Built Stitches
- 1 Best Sewing Machine For Quilting – Buying Guide
- 2 Types of Sewing machines for quilting
- 3 Best Sewing Machine For Quilting Reviews
- 3.1 1. Brother Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 3.2 2. Terby Mini Portable Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 3.3 3. Brother’s Sewing and Quilting Machine with Built-In Stitches
- 3.4 4. Sewing and Quilting Computerized Machine from JUKI
- 3.5 5. Sewing and Quilting Machine with 1500 stitches per minute from Brother
- 3.6 6. High-Speed Sewing and Quilting Machine from JANOME
- 3.7 7. Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine with 200 In-Built Stitches
- 4 Features to check in a sewing machine for quilting:
- 5 FAQs
- 5.1 1. Can any sewing machine be used for quilting?
- 5.2 2. What is the best sewing machine for free-motion quilting?
- 5.3 3. Is quilting an expensive hobby?
- 5.4 4. Can I use an old blanket as quilt batting?
- 5.5 5. What is the difference between a regular sewing machine and a quilting machine?
- 5.6 6. What size needle is best for machine quilting?
- 5.7 7. What is the best high-end sewing machine?
- 5.8 8. Can I machine quilting without a walking foot?
- 5.9 9. What does a quilting machine do?
Best Sewing Machine For Quilting – Buying Guide
Factors you can keep in mind for the best sewing machine for quilting:
- If you are planning to quilt on your sewing machine, you need to make sure the workspace is large enough to accommodate quilting projects.
- A computerized machine could make your work much easier and more accessible. Decide whether you need a mechanical or electronic one.
- Set a budget before you start looking for a sewing machine for quilting and try to stick to it.
- Decide what you want the sewing machine for. Do you want the best sewing machine for quilting and monogramming, or do you want one for clothing?
- Look at the stitch options available. The more styles available, the more variety you get in your quilts.
- If you are a beginner, look for a sewing machine that is easy to learn and operate.
- The weight and size of the machine are important. Do you want a portable one or one to use in your quilting room?
Types of Sewing machines for quilting
Sewing machines come in the following 2 types:
In case you’re looking for a cheaper product, mechanical sewing machines can be the ideal option for you. These machines are heavy-duty and have buttons and controls which you have to adjust manually. Mechanical sewing machines can attain all basic needs, but may not provide satisfaction when it to comes to precision.
Electronic sewing machines are a bit pricey compared to mechanical ones but perform superiorly compared to the latter. These are easy sewing machines that handle the quilting more precisely owing to their presence of electronic components. However, I must tell you that electronic sewing machines will require more maintenance compared to mechanical ones.
Best Sewing Machine For Quilting Reviews
This particular model of sewing and quilting machine from Brother (XR9550) is the best sewing machine for quilting and is also the best sewing machine for quilting under $500. Extremely easy to use, this computerized machine is built durably and has many features to help users improve their creative capabilities.
This product also contains 110 unique types of stitches, such as heirloom, etc. It also contains eight styles to sew buttonholes. It even includes quilting feet for all quilters! The wide table and workspace on this machine help in accommodating your large quilt projects easily.
Here is why choosing this machine for your quilting hobby could be a great decision:
- It is the best sewing machine for quilting for under $500 which is computerized and easy to use.
- It has 165 unique styles of stitching, 8 ways of button-hole stitching, and even 55 types of alphanumeric styles of stitching.
- This quilting and sewing machine also contains an LCD screen that will help to let you choose the stitches you want very easily.
- The wide table and the included quilting feet make this a great quilting machine for you.
- The instructional DVD you will receive along with this product will help you understand how to operate the machine and more.
This is the best sewing machine for quilting for beginners and it is also the best sewing machine for quilting under $200. Despite its small size, it is very much capable of performing your daily stitching needs. This is an electric sewing and quilting machine that has options of both low and high speed available.
The finger guard makes it the best sewing machine for quilting for beginners. This quilting machine can be powered using an AC adaptor or 4 AA batteries. This means the product reduces any usage limitations and makes it extremely convenient to use it.
The best part about it has to be the fact that it is quite portable. You can travel with it, carry it around and it does not take up much space. Here is why you need to buy this portable quilting machine.
- It is the best sewing machine under $200 that is portable and easy to carry around.
- As it is an electric sewing machine for quilting, you can adjust the speed to lower or higher as you wish.
- This particular machine can be controlled using 2 ways- either by using a foot pedal or by the press of a button.
- There are many useful functions and accessories such as thread cutter, built-in lamp, etc.
This is the best sewing machine for quilting and has been known to be quite useful for beginners and experts alike. One of the noteworthy features of this product is the large workspace you get when you choose this. It is the perfect work area for any of your quilting projects. It is the best sewing machine for quilting for under $1000.
It is very easy to thread this machine and the work area in this is brightly light using in-built lamps.60 types of stitching types have been programmed into this machine for your convenience and ease of use. It also helps to expand your creativity in quilting and stitching, making it the best sewing machine for quilting and embroidery.
Here are some of the amazing features of the best sewing machine for quilting under $1000.
- There are 60 unique types of stitching patterns and designs in this sewing machine. You can easily select the one you need using just a few clicks.
- This product also includes a hard case for protection, a wide work area table, 10 sewing feet, 3 bobbins, and even a needle set that contains twin needles.
- There is a 25-year warranty on this sewing and quilting machine given by its manufacturing company.
- You can select the type of stitching pattern you need on the computerized LCD screen.
- The stitching styles include 7 decorative stitches, making it the best sewing machine for quilting and embroidery.
This is the best sewing machine you can use for all your quilting purposes. It is extremely reliable and durable and will exceed all the expectations you have from a quilting machine. The amazing features it has will make you wonder why you did not buy this machine before.
This particular sewing and quilting machine will give you professional results and is easy to master, even if you are a beginner. This machine has been designed for any superior quilting projects you might have. It is one of the best you could choose, whether you are a beginner or an expert.
Here is why this sewing and machine quilting machine needs to be chosen. These are just some of the wonderful features it has.
- By adopting the box feed system technology, this product ensures that, through oval motion, no shrinking or shifting of material happens.
- Even if you are sewing using very light fabrics and materials, no shrinking will happen to them you can sew heavy fabrics and materials too easily.
- The extended sewing table makes it the best one for any quilting purposes as you have a large workspace for quilting.
- The knee-lifting lever in the sewing and quilting machine helps to raise, lower, and adjust the height of the presser foot easily.
This is the best sewing machine for quilting that you can buy. With all its amazing features, it is the best sewing machine for quilting and clothing. This automatic sewing machine with its high-speed stitching mechanism is exactly what you need if you are a serious quilter. It is perfect for your sewing and quilting room and will help you finish your projects faster.
One of the best features of this product that needs to be highlighted is its adjustable pin feed mechanism. Through this, one can use just a single pin that extends from underneath the machine instead of multiple feed dogs. This allows you to move multiple layers of your quilt altogether. You can even stitch on delicate velvet material without leaving any feed dog marks.
Here are some of the reasons why you should choose this best sewing machine for quilting and clothing.
- The maximum sewing speed of this sewing and quilting machine is 1500 stitches per minute, making your work that much easier and fast.
- The advanced needle threading system of this machine includes an automatic needle threader that inserts the thread into the needle perfectly.
- The wide table for your large quilting works and other included accessories makes your work easier, thereby helping you quilt better and faster.
- The pin feed system in this machine allows users to sew many types of fabrics easily and precisely.
This sewing and quilting machine is perfect for you with its fast-speed stitching and very comprehensive and smart design. The features in this machine make all your works easier and faster. It is exactly what your sewing and quilting room requires. This high-speed sewing and quilting machine makes 1600 stitches per minute, allowing you to easily quilt and finish your projects.
The extra-wide workspace provided in this machine allows you to easily access and accommodate a large quilt frame easily. Also, the side-loading bobbin makes access easier for the user.
Here are a few reasons why buying this sewing and quilting machine could be the best thing for you.
- The presser foot sensor in this machine is one of a kind and will work wonders for you.
- The memorized up and down needle setting computerized into this helps you to stitch faster.
- The independent bobbin winder and the automatic thread cutter make your job easier.
- The variable speed control allows you to sew, stitch and quilt in your comfortable speed.
With a backlight LCD and an automatic buttonhole, this is easily the best sewing machine for quilting. It has many unique features that can help you improve as a quilter while also making the process of quilting much easier. The quick-set bobbin, automatic threader, and twin needle function will make your quilting more enjoyable.
The 200 in-built stitch patterns help you to easily choose the perfect design you need and stitch it onto your quilts. This machine is not only fast but also very convenient and easy to use. It even has 8 styles of single-step buttonhole sewing. What more do you need in a sewing and quilting machine?
Here are some of the amazing features of this wonderful machine:
- The 200 built-in unique stitches in this machine include 8 styles of buttonhole sewing and 100 types of alphanumeric sewing stitches.
- Some of the accessories you get with this include zipper foot, buttonhole foot, an all-purpose foot, 4 bobbins, twin needle, spool pin, etc.
- It also comes with a dust cover that protects the machine from getting covered in dust.
- The automatic needle threader in this sewing and quilting machine pushes the thread through the needle with ease and perfection.
This was our list of 7 high-quality sewing machines that can be used for quilting. Choose the best sewing machine for quilting amongst this. Remember to keep your needs in your mind while selecting one. This list is just to help you find your way to your perfect quilting machine.
Features to check in a sewing machine for quilting:
If you are a beginner, do check for the following features before buying a sewing machine.
1. Needle threader
A needle threader will automatically put the thread in the needle’s eye without any help. These can be helpful for individuals with weak eyesight and also, dexterity problems. Since you will be stitching a lot, having a needle threader can save a significant amount of time and frustration. The best serger will know the importance of all these things.
2. Bobbin type
A top-loading or drop-in bobbin system can automatically come out and drop into its place without having to open the case. It has a transparent cover enabling you to see the remaining thread. Moreover, they offer easy removal and replacement of bobbins.
Other than top-loading, front-loading bobbins also exist; however, I would recommend you to avoid them as they can be complicated to operate owing to their front placement.
3. Free arm
Beginners will require stitching smaller parts in order to practice, and a sewing machine convertible to a free arm can let you do that. Without a free arm, you won’t be able to stitch the wound and smaller parts which can uselessly cause frustrations.
An automatic buttonholer can aid in creating precise buttonholes that most don’t achieve manually. With this feature, you can easily sew buttonholes without the need for pressing any buttons or stopping to turn the fabric. Easy sewing machines can even just have to put the button in a slot and automatically sew a buttonhole that can fit the former.
5. Adjustable tension
Various threads and fabrics require various types of tension in order to perform ideally. In addition, you will also be required to vary the stitch length based on the project you are working on.
The best sewing machine for quilting will have this feature and make sure to go for this one as well.
6. Needle Position
Needle position will let you freely move it according to your needs. When you stop stitching, moving the needle up or down forms one of its major aspects. Putting the needle down will make it efficient when turning a corner and lifting the pressure foot without skipping a stitch.
Furthermore, it will also let you move the stitching line and the needle from right to left.
Although not a significant feature, but light can make it easier to stitch especially for those with poor eyesight. Moreover, continuous stitching can put pressure on the eyes and light can come in handy in this situation.
I would also suggest you check whether you can replace the bulb in case it breaks; some manufactures require customers to take the machine to a dealer in order to replace the light.
8. Types of stitches
The more types of stitches, the merrier.
Most often, you will require a straight and sometimes a zigzag stitch. However, all latest products offer several types of stitching which you must check in case you are seeking a special type. Also, more types of stitches can also mean, you will have to spend more money.
9. Speed Control
As the name suggests, this feature can enable you to control the speed of stitching. As a beginner, freedom of controlling the speed will let you stitch in a slow and steady pace without messing things up.
10. Presser Foot
The presser foot does the job of tightly pressing the fabric to the machine so that you can sew without hassle. A pressure foot prevents stretching in knits and puckering in fabrics. Ensure that pressure foot is effective so that it does not hamper the stitching.
Moreover, the lever position for adjusting the pressure foot is also of utmost significance.
Last but not least, ensuring that the product you buy is lightweight can ease you from several hassles. If you are going to store it in a closet, make sure you can do so without seeking someone else’s assistance.
Checking for these features can make sure you get the best sewing machine for quilting.
1. Can any sewing machine be used for quilting?
The answer to this question is yes! Quilting can be done using any type of sewing machine. Then why have a machine specifically designed for sewing, you might ask? But there is a reason why using a quilting machine is recommended instead of a normal sewing machine for quilting.
This is because a quilting machine has a few add-ons that one might not find in a normal sewing machine. These add-ons and a few extra capabilities will help you as they are made keeping the process of quilting in mind. But, yes, you can use any sewing machine for quilting as quilting machines are sewing machines themselves.
2. What is the best sewing machine for free-motion quilting?
There are many machines that you can use for free-motion quilting and each one has their unique features and pros and cons. But there is one such machine that stands out from the rest. This is the best sewing machine you can use for free-motion quilting.
So, the best sewing machine for free-motion quilting is SINGER 9960 Sewing and Quilting Machine. It includes a lot of accessories and add-ons that make it very easy for you to do the quilting. One of the reasons it is considered to be the best is because it has a good and considerable throat space and is very much reliable when compared to other models.
3. Is quilting an expensive hobby?
Even though it might sound like a very expensive hobby, quilting is not one. All it is going to cost is threads and, most importantly, your time. As long as you have enough time to do quilting and take it forward as a hobby, then you can surely try it.
A yard of thread might cost you anywhere from $6 to $8 and that is as far as the expense goes. But, yes, you do need a sewing or quilting machine that you can use. If you already have a quilting machine, then the threads are the only extra cost you will have to endure.
4. Can I use an old blanket as quilt batting?
Yes, you can use an old blanket as quilt batting while you are quilting. But there are a few things you need to do before you do this. You need to make sure to wash the blanket and dry it well. This is very important.
Once it has been washed and dried, the blanket can be used just like any other quilt batting. Try to choose a large yet loose quilting design and that is not heavily dense as this makes it easier. Old blankets needle very easily and they are not at all difficult to quilt.
5. What is the difference between a regular sewing machine and a quilting machine?
Even though a quilting machine is basically a machine, there are a few differences. This is because of that fact that quilting machines are made specifically for quilting purposes. So they are better for quilting than other normal sewing machines.
One of the main differences between the two is the amount of workspace (throat space) that is available on the machines. The throat space or work area on a quilting machine is bigger because of the simple fact that quilts are bulkier and bigger items. In normal sewing machines, there is enough workspace for basic sewing needs but not as large as one in quilting machines.
6. What size needle is best for machine quilting?
When you are quilting, the best needle to use is a quilting needle. Quilting needles have slightly rounded points compared to other sewing needles. These quilting needles are made especially for machine quilting. So if you want a needle for your quilting machine, it is best to go for a quilting needle rather than any other type of needle.
Now the next thing you need to look into is the size. One of the most common sizes of a quilting machine needle is 90/14. In these needles, the eye of the needle has been designed to be big enough to accommodate most types of threads, including the large ones used for quilting.
7. What is the best high-end sewing machine?
A high-end sewing machine is one that has lots of functions and add-ons to help you with quilting. They are mainly used by professionals, but they can turn out to be quite useful if you are really into it. They are also designed in such a way that even beginners can easily learn the way they work and function.
One of the best high-end sewing machines has to be SINGER 9960 Advanced Sewing Machine. This is an amazing sewing machine with many unique features and extensions. This is the best one you could choose if you are planning on using a high-end sewing machine.
8. Can I machine quilting without a walking foot?
Sometimes, you might have a quilting machine, but you might not be able to find a walking foot for the same. But, fear not, because you might be able to machine quilt without a walking foot. All you need to do is use a darning foot instead. By doing so, you could try machine quilting.
Also, one tip while you practice machine quilting is to pin all the base layers together using a safety-pin. You could also use a quilt basting spray instead for the same purpose. This helps to keep all the layers together while you do machine quilting.
9. What does a quilting machine do?
Machine quilting is the quilting that has been made using a type of sewing machine. They help to stitch patters or stitch in rows by using many different techniques. They replicate the old-style hand-quilting but do so using technology! There are even quilting machines that help to duplicate hand-stitching and that is quite a feat!
So, in short, a quilting machine is a sewing machine that will help you quit through various layers of fabrics easily.
Check out the list of best sewing table you can buy.